[MacDV] (no subject) audio

Preston Boardrider at aaaHawk.com
Sun Nov 7 13:06:12 PST 2004

(I'm assuming you are using OSX)
What version of iMovie are you using?
How much RAM is in your computer?
How large is your HD (hard drive)?
VERY IMPORTANT:  how much free space is on your HD?

If You are maxing out your current  HD, and/or it is fragmented, you
could be suffering from HD access issues not to mention virtual
Memory issues if your RAM is maxed out and trying to buffer to a full
HD.

Click on your HD icon just to highlight it. Hold the Apple key +
press the I.  This will "get info" on your HD and you will be able to
tell the HD size and the free space.

Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor
This will tell you how much RAM your iMovie is taking up and how much
VM is using on your HD. If you don't have free space this is a bad
sign.

I'm trying to remember . . . is it like 10% of your HD needs to be
free?  ie a 60GB HD needs 6GB free to run smoothly???

I would not go buy FCP just because you cannot get the audio working
with iMovie. Once you figure out the problem, iMovie 4.1 has pretty
good audio control. I don't think iMovie itself is your problem.

anyhow best of luck
-Preston