[MacDV] Re: Novice Question on Image Quality

sb videovideo at mac.com
Wed Nov 17 11:01:28 PST 2004

Don¹t buy a Canon. You should be fine with a Sony or Panasonic.

You¹ll probably want pass thru so you¹ll need analog inputs as well as
outputs, and you want a camera that supports the use of Firewire protocol
(not Firewire Basic). The lowest cost cameras only have analog output, so
watch out for that.

I had a Sony TRV22 and also a Panasonic GV something ­ I forget the exact
model number. They were used in a classroom and got handed around to many
students who¹s video¹s were shot on all sorts of cameras. Both of them
worked just fine, in both iMovie as well as Final Cut Pro. I bought both of
them at Circuit City at open box prices ­ under $400 each. They had been
turned on for a while, but no tapes were ever recorded.

If you think you might be getting footage shot on a PD100/150/170 (very
similar to the TRV900/950) then you will want a Sony, since the PD¹s shoot
DVCam, not MiniDV.

 hth,

 sb