[MacDV] Question

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Wed Nov 17 22:53:36 PST 2004

Every Canon Mini DV camera, up to the XL1, use CANON's flavor of DV,
NOT the industry standard.
We faced this same problem on a feature film shot with multiple XL1's,
and could only resolve the issue
by purchasing a JVC Professional Mini DV Deck. JVC, which as a "try
harder" company due to its
low-tiered place in the industry, has made its professional Mini DV
decks capable of reading everything
from standard to tragically non-standard Mini DV formats, including the
abysmal one used solely
by the lowly Canon line.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?
O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=228378&is=REG

Above is the link to the deck we bought which solved our Canon debacle.
I cannot vouch for their cheaper
decks. The BR-DV600UA is about $2400, and it does read, apparently, all
things Canon, ugly or uglier.

Caveats: DO NOT TRY to dub to standard DV or worse, DVCAM, as the audio
will go WILDLY out of sync.
Canon DV cams may use a DIFFERENT audio rate EVERY time they are set to
record. The
variance adds up quickly, and in an hour, do NOT be surprised if you
are 2-4 SECONDS out
of sync in the dub. You might find success in digitizing (with RESYNC
ON in FCP!) and then
outputting a shot at a time. You can also, and painfully resample the
audio and resync the audio.

Canons are a mess, top to bottom, and the nightmares they represent far
outweigh
the "sexy looks" of things like the XL1. Amateur, in the extreme (and a
lousy picture, too.)

Keep in mind the Mini DV spec FEATURES audio NOT synced to picture.

The exception is the Panasonic DVX100a which has PLL circuitry. Only
DVCAM and
the Pro Video formats feature audio synced to picture as standard. If
you love your VX2000, you will
REALLY love its big brothers, the PD150 or PD170, but WAIT until
February, as the PD series
replacement, the HVR-Z1U, should become available. It shoot regular SDI
DVCAM as well
as 1080i Hi Def. This is the big brother of Sony's amateur HDR-FX1 and
should prove quite
a splashy contender.

More at   http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/5327

Richard Brown