[MacDV] The joke was funny but on a serious not - seriously!

ShirleyK ShirleyKat at cox.net
Sun Nov 28 07:28:58 PST 2004

Well, for starters, Panther isn't supported on that system. Here's
something one of our user group members posted:

As Beige G3 owners have been painfully aware, Apple introduced Panther
with
the warning that OS 10.3.x was not supported on Macs without factory
built-in USB.

As a number of postings in this Apple.com forums and elsewhere
indicate, a
growing number of us have been using Ryan Rempel's alpha versions of
XPostFacto (the latest is XPF 3.0a11) to install Panther and upgrade it
10.3.2 on Beiges and other vintage models.

There is a great deal of valuable info to be gained from the .html
document
that downloads with the so-far-free XPF AND from the OWC (Other World
Computing) Mac Project Forums for unsupported Macs at
<http://anybox.owc.net/forum/index.php>

What follows is information I posted there earlier today on the OWC
Beige G3
forum on how to clone--AND still make BOOTABLE--10.3.2 volumes from one
internal drive to another and how to clone a bootable 10.3.2 volume to
an
external FireWire drive. (Apple Tech Support has long insisted that
such old
Macs as the Beige G3 could not be used to boot FireWire drives.
Rempel's XPF
has made that possible). The cloning of 10.3.2 from an internal drive
to a
FW hd has not been documented up until now, as far as I'm aware.

His name is Norm Nager and he wrote this in February, if you want to
look up his post on that forum. In general such questions should be
asked in other forums dedicated to keeping old systems alive. This
forum is supposed to be about iMovie.

Shirley