[MacDV] Re: The joke was funny but on a serious note - seriously!

KathyMac! MacsAndMusic at MusiciansForProgress.org
Mon Nov 29 13:24:51 PST 2004

I am a proud owner of a Beige G3/300 Minitower. Bought it brand new and
it has been my workhorse for years. I do professional audio with it and
run such applications as Cubase, Logic, and Pro Tools. I bought a new
G4 last year but kept the G3 set up right next to me at another
workstation. Why? Because I run the G3 strictly in OS9 for audio apps.
I still love OS9 and it's fast. I run Panther on the G4.

That being said, I was doing a bit of net shopping 2 weeks ago and
decided to upgrade the G3 from OWC. I bought a G4 upgrade ZIF card
(G4/500) and also a Radeon 9200 video card (128 video memory). The
Radeon card allowed me to do something I NEVER thought I could do with
my G3 - connect a 22" Apple Cinematic Display. It is gorgeous. Plus I
run a second 19" flat panel next to it and have the capability to run
yet a third screen if I wanted. It's great for showing a full 24 track
mixing board onscreen.

The G4 upgrade ZIF really made a difference too. It is fast and snappy.

I maxed out the memory, installed an 80 gig hard drive, and a 52x CDRW
a while back. I also put in a Firewire/USB PCI card and now run a
triple DVD duplicator off of the firewire port. The DVD burner that
Toast recognizes in OS9 is the Pioneer A07 - the bottom burner in the
duplicator stack.

I love my G3. I do have Jaguar 10.2.8 installed on another partition of
the drive but I rarely boot into it. I love having a workstation in OS9
next to me. But I'm sure I could do some movie editing in Jaguar if I
wanted to. I just prefer to do that on my G4 instead (which also has a
23" Apple Cinematic HD Display and 19" flat panel attached).

You can love and utilize your G3 for years to come. It's a workhorse
and underestimated. The audio and video jacks in the back were removed
the following year when the B&W G3s came out and I much prefer the
Beige even though it is not as stylish.

Yours is a 233 Minitower so you would benefit even more from the G4/500
upgrade card than I did.

Good luck and enjoy your new baby!

KathyMac!