[MacDV] Exporting to Imovie problem

Chuck Kay chuckkay at mac.com
Tue Oct 19 19:37:20 PDT 2004

On Oct 19, 2004, at 5:08 AM, Gregg Gorrie wrote:

> It sounds like there is a Firewire communication problem (at least one
> way)
> between your camera and the computer.
>
> Have you tried:
>
> a) Checking that the tape is >not< write protected and that there is a
> reasonable amount of tape left to record onto?
>
> b) Unplugging the FW connector between your camera and computer,
> plugging it
> back in, and then turning your camera on to VTR mode?
>
> c) Rebooting the computer with the camera on and in VTR mode?
>
> Just some basic suggestions, but sometimes the simple things do get
> overlooked.
> --
> Gregg

A followup is in order. Since 1st post I have done several things: 1)
repaired permissions, 2) deleted the iMovie preferences file, 3)
deleted Final Cut Pro HD (and all other associated applications), 3)
restarted numerous times with firewire cable plugged in, camera on in
VTR mode and also the reverse-restart and then turn on camera in VTR
mode, 4) unplugged and plugged the firewire cable to computer while
computer is on and when camera is on and off positions. Importing tape
from camera to computer is fine. iMovie even controls the camera while
importing. But when I go to export back to tape (share) I still get the
message about computer has lost it's firewire connection. Since iMovie
is controlling camera, it seems that communication is taking place in
both directions. Is there some special type of communication taking
place when you tell iMovie to share to videocamera? Never had this
problem before. By the way, this is happening w/both of my cameras-a
Sony DSR-250 and a Sony DCR-VX2000. Could my firewire ports be the
problem? Early in  2004, Apple did have to replace my entire
motherboard. With Applecare, it was no charge. Have successfully
performed several projects since then. I have a dual G5 2.0 ghz machine
but only 512k RAM. Could that be the problem? never has in the past.
Would a CUDA reset help? Thanks for any advice from the pros on this
board. Otherwise, it is back to Apple.