[MacDV] Can't render/encode my iDVD project - Can't burn project to DVD

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sun Oct 24 16:12:44 PDT 2004

On Sunday, October 24, 2004, at 06:30  PM, Robert L. Vaessen wrote:

> I don't know where you get the 'make a pizza by mashing up a pizza'
> analogy. I have a iMovie project that I want to burn to disc. I can't
> seem to get it to work.

This is one of my legendary bad analogies.
At any rate, I suggest that you once again concentrate on a simple 1
minute project
to make sure that your hardware works. The fact that you were unaware
of the concept of dropping a clip in the iDVD window says you might be
missing some other thing that is obvious.
So if your movie is really made of disparate elements heck, it might
take 12 hours to render or it might choke.
If it chokes on the tutorial, then there is some other problem than
you, but I would open the tutorial and dick around with the program
(iDVD) extensively, because I think you are missing something.
You might try for instance resetting the preferences for "best quality"
as opposed to "best performance" . This as suggested by one of the
Actual experts makes a difference.

I realize that you are making a good effort and are not just asking us
to give you a step by step.
But if you missed "drop movies here" what else is not registering with
you.?

Maybe you gat a bad batch of DVD's. Maybe some other program is sapping
your cpu causing things to bog down.
Or maybe the encoder is choking on your material.
Maybe try rendering your iMovie as DV. then use the import command to
reload that movie
into iMovie. Set your chapters and press the iDVD button.
Perhaps "flattening" your material like this will give you a better
shot, but I still can't
understand how you can't burn the tutorial, and still think you have no
soft or hard problem.

Still Loving you,
  Jim