[MacDV] Can't render/encode my iDVD project - Can't burn project to DVD

Robert L. Vaessen rvaessen at mac.com
Sun Oct 24 20:04:03 PDT 2004

Gerhard -

Thanks for the info. I'm about to go back to iMovie, rebuild my entire
project from scratch, avoiding anything controversial, like video, or
photos, or music... Just kidding, sort of!

This part (You can't add MPEG files to an iDVD project because they
don't contain standard video tracks.) of that support article is
particularly interesting, even though it doesn't apply to me. I don't
know where anyone would have gotten the idea that I tried to put an
MPEG video file into iDVD. I used iMovie to export iMovie generated
data to iDVD. I'm assuming that the output from iMovie is compatible
with iDVD. Maybe that's my problem. If the output from iMovie is not
necessarily compatible with iDVD... Well, I wouldn't be all that
surprised.

The fact that I started with MPEG video (.VOB extension) in iMovie, has
nothing to do with what I'm doing in iDVD. iMovie converts all inputs
into .mov QuickTime formated video.

For that matter to say that you can't use MPEG files in an iDVD project
is a very strange statement. Considering the fact that QuickTime video
files (.mov extension) are based on MPEG standards.

Hopefully, someday, by some miracle, I'll manage to find just the right
combination of planetary alignments and zoological configurations
favorable to iDVD.

- Robert