[MacDV] Re: Can't render/encode my iDVD project-Can't burn project to DVD

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Tue Oct 26 09:14:20 PDT 2004

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA

On Oct 26, 2004, at 8:50 AM, Ted Langdell replied to Robert:

> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:58:12 -0600
> From: "Robert L. Vaessen" <rvaessen at mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [MacDV] Can't render/encode my iDVD project -	Can't burn
> 	project		to DVD
>
> Ted -
>
> On Oct 25, 2004, at 16:54, Ted Langdell wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:04:03 -0600 "Robert L. Vaessen" wrote:
>>
>>> For that matter to say that you can't use MPEG files in an iDVD
>>> project
>>> is a very strange statement. Considering the fact that QuickTime
>>> video
>>> files (.mov extension) are based on MPEG standards.
>>>

>> Regarding your problems using iDVD:
>>
>> Upgrade to the latest version of iMovie if you haven't done so, yet.
>> Restart, then:
>
> I did that, it doesn't seem to have helped.
>
>> As another poster suggested... and I'll modify here slightly:
>>
>> Try using a short piece of original video you've captured into iMovie
>> in the conventional way from a camcorder, so you know that you're
>> getting the proper file format into iMovie in the first place.
>
> Sorry, but that is not possible. The original video came from a VHS
> tape. A friend transfered/converted the movie from VHS to DVD (in
> VIDEO_TS) format. What do you mean by the proper file format? Would
> iMovie allow me to import an 'improper' file format? That doesn't seem
> likely. If the video plays fine in iMovie, it should be assumed that
> this data is 'proper'.

Hi, Robert...  Never assume.  It makes an A-- out of U and Me, as the
saying goes.

The reason for starting with a piece of video UNRELATED to your problem
project is just that.
It's UNRELATED to your problem project.

If you import something FRESH and still have problems, it tends to
point to a software problem.
If it works fine, it tends to point to a problem with the files you've
been using in your problem project.

>> Pull that clip into the timeline, save the project, then hit the
>> button to create a new iDVD project. Quit iMovie.
>
> I took a 2 minute 19 second clip into iMovie, added 4 chapter markers,
> and created a new iDVD project. Quit iMovie,

Was it video unrelated to your problem project?

>> Let us know what happens... but in your case, I wouldn't keep trying
>> to use the files you've converted or ripped from a DVD using software.
>>  I suspect that's part of the problem.
>
> The files were converted/ripped from VHS using hardware. An analog to
> digital converter. The DVD created by that process plays fine in my DVD
> player (Set top player and computer). So, despite the fact that the
> movie looks good, previews fine, and works in iMovie and iDVD, it might
> be bad video?

It might be.  The idea is try something unrelated and see what happens.

> FYI: I attempted to burn the iDVD project on a DP 2.5Ghz G5 at the
> nearby AppleStore. iDVD crashed three times while I was there. :-(

Sounds like iDVD isn't happy with a file you're using, since it moved
to another machine.

BTW: (By the Way) FCP is Final Cut Pro, FCE is Final Cut Express, and
DVDSP is DVD Studio Pro.

Sometimes with iDVD, you have to hit "burn disk" and walk away for
quite a while.  I experienced that on burning my initial DVD projects
with the software.  I'm now using DVDSP, which gives me greater options
in the encoding and burning process.

I can encode separately from burning the disk, which allows a final
check of the encoded TS_Video folder's files with DVD Player to see if
things work right.

If they work fine, I can go ahead and use DVDSP to burn the disk, or
can also use Toast (Roxio's CD/DVD burning software).

It also allows creation of very basic DVD's without the fancy menus and
other things iDVD or DVD Studio Pro allow.

Ted.