[MacDV] Can't render/encode my iDVD project - Can't burnprojectto DVD (SOLVED)

Robert L. Vaessen rvaessen at mac.com
Thu Oct 28 14:58:53 PDT 2004

On Oct 28, 2004, at 11:49, Nick Scalise wrote:

> On Thursday, October 28, 2004, at 01:21AM, Robert L. Vaessen
> <rvaessen at mac.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> The video looks better on the DVD than it did on the VHS. Thanks for
>> all the help.
>
> I just checked the iDVD forums at Apple and the poster named SadMac
> there said that the update to QuickTime 6.5.2 solved his problems.
>
> Have you updated your QuickTime yet? If/when you do, will you try it
> again in iDVD and see if it solves your issue?

I did update my QuickTime, I updated it as soon as the update came out,
but I can't recall whether I attempted to encode/render using iDVD
after the upgrade.

> Supposedly if you use the Hurz/Pfurz hack
> <http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=23370> you would not even have
> to actually burn a DVD, just make an image file.

I've tried using the Hurz/Pfurz hack with iDVD. All it does is create a
disk image. You still need to burn the data to a DVD. You can't simply
copy it to the disc, as that will only create a data disk. The disc
needs to be burnt in UDF format in order for the DVD to play in a
stereo component/set-top DVD player.

The Hurz/Pfurz hack didn't help me because my problems were in the
rendering and encoding phase (Stages 2 & 3), not in the burn phase
(Stage 4).

> I am curious about this because I have a Dual 2.0 Rev. B and have
> created about 8 DVD's using iMovie 4.0.1 and iDVD 4.0.1 without
> experiencing any sort of the problems you report.

My Mac is a Dual 1.8Ghz model. I'm thinking that the codec that iDVD
was using was compiled on a machine with a processor different than
mine (possibly a 2.0 model), and that there were subtle differences in
the way the code was written/compiled. Subtle enough to cause serious
problems. Give the number of 1.8Ghz DP users with the same (or similar)
problem, I wouldn't be surprised if this were true.

I'll post again after I've given iDVD one more try, now that QuickTime
has been updated.

- Robert