[MacDV] Video project - VHS to DVD to DV to DVD

Richard Dalziel Sharpe dalshar at optushome.com.au
Wed Sep 15 23:57:48 PDT 2004

Hi Robert.
I can think of two alternatives that are reasonable given your level of
expertise.
The first is the more difficult the second will mean re doing your step
two.
You could convert the DVD back to almost any QuickTime format to edit
it.
If you want to use iMovie 4 as your editor then it will probably be
best to convert it to DV.
There are many shareware and free ware applications that will do this,
varying hugely in complexity and usability, I use DVDx DVPro. This does
a good job of converting and is reasonably easy to use. A trial version
is available so you can give it a go to see what you think of the
quality. Remember that every conversion you make will lower the
quality.
My strong recommendation is to capture your VHS tapes to a DV camera,
thus converting them to DV and then capturing the resulting files onto
your Mac. Some DV cameras will allow you to play through to  your Mac
thus saving time.

Hope this helps.
Richard Dalziel-Sharpe
Australia