[MacDV] Problem exporting to tape--iMovie4

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 17 05:35:40 PDT 2004

I have a G4 iMac, an external firewire drive and Final Cut Express.
I've noticed a couple of things about this combination. First, you
can't just go in the Prefs, set your external firewire drive as a
scratch disk, and assume this change will hold true forever. There's
some situation that wipes out your choice of the external firewire
drive as a scratch disk, but I haven't figured out yet what does this.

Second - and more important - the manual says that video will be
captured to whichever disk has the most space available. So, if you
have three or four projects going, it's very easy to reach a point
where you have 30 gigabytes of space on your external drive, but 35
gigs of space on your internal drive. Then FCE will automatically
switch to capturing on the internal drive. Is the solution to remove
your internal drive from the scratch disk list? I've been afraid to try
this without knowing for sure.

Steve R.