[MacDV] Standalone DVD Recorders

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Mon Sep 20 18:27:45 PDT 2004

On Monday, September 20, 2004, at 07:40  PM, Trueman H. Hight wrote:

> Do any of you have experience with a DVD standalone recorder? A friend
> of mine is a wedding vidographer and her customer wanted their wedding
> on a DVD. She ask me to do it for her.  It took me approximately 6
> hours to do it. I was wondering if a standalone recorder would be
> quicker and easier.

Yes and yes

> Other than speed, is there any other advantage to these units?

Not really.

> Is there anyway recordings can be made direct to the unit from iDVD on
> my Mac?

No. From iMovie or FCP yes.   It is either iDVD   OR  standalone, not
both.
The whole advantage of the standalone is the realtime conversion v.
having to wait all night for
iDVD rendering.

> Can any editing be done on these units?

With some you can edit in the machine but the compatability of such
discs is doubtful.

You want to edit in iMovie (say) annd then play it out over firewire to
the standalone recorder. One can try to learn the ins and outs of such
a recorder to make a more interesting disc but that is harder than iDVD.