[MacDV] Editing MPEG2 files

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Fri Sep 24 07:30:18 PDT 2004

On Thursday, September 23, 2004, at 11:00  PM, Brian Olesky wrote:

> I just joined this list yesterday, so I hope this hasn't been covered a
> billion times. Or that it's something that is appropriate for this
> list and
> I'm not just wasting everyone's time.
>
> I'm a freelance writer specializing in TV spots and videos, and I'm
> tired of
> having to go to production houses to have my presentation reel
> edited. Plus I'd like to be able to show each prospective client a
> custom
> built reel on DVD. Meaning I'd like to be able to start compiling and
> burning my own DVD reels on my brand new PowerBook (15", 1.5 GHz,
> SuperDrive).
>
> Therefore, I've had a whole load of BetaSP video masters transferred to
> MPEG2 files (as someone at a production house recommended),

Wrong. Should have made DV.

>  I've loaded them
> into my PowerBook, and now I'd like to use iMovie and iDVD (which I've
> never
> used before) to begin building these customized presentation reels.

If you only have mpeg2 files you will need DVD Studio Pro.

> (Essentially, I'll just be stringing together various 30 second and 60
> second cuts, though I may want to add some titles in between, and so I
> really won't be doing any heavy duty editing. At least not yet.)
>
> First question: Is this doable using MPEG2 files and iMovie,
No
> and once I'm
> done will the quality of the video, when burned to a DVD, be anywhere
> near
> as good as DVDs burned directly from BetaSP masters?

Too many variables to answer.

> And second question: My plan is to just go in and read the help files,
> etc.
> to learn iMovie, then plunge in. Is there anything I should know in
> advance?

iMovie does not edit Mpeg2 files . It likes DV.

> Any tip you experienced iMovie jockeys can pass on that might save me,
> oh, a
> couple hundred or so hours?
>
> Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Best bet would be to get your tapes retransferred to DV tapes and
import them.
Otherwise if you are stuck with Mpeg2 files you will have to acquire
DVDSTudioPro where you can lay Mpeg2 files on a timeline AND design
your DVD.