[MacDV] Editing MPEG2 files (clarification)

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 24 08:33:46 PDT 2004

OK, thru offlist and other posts, I've now learned enough to make my
question a little clearer.

What I want to be able to do is take a bunch of professionally produced 15
to 60 second videos, which I have on individual BetaSP tapes, and string
them together in varying compilations, to make custom reels that I can burn
to DVD. Meaning I really don't have to do any film editing, just compiling.

So what I've learned is, I don't need iMovie at all (unless I want to add
some titles). And that I may have done the right thing by going straight to
MPEG2s, because that's the format iDVD will need to enable me to make these
custom DVDs?

And that if I want to make some title cards to add in here and there, that's
what I'd use iMovie for?

And one last question--If all I want to do is lay out 10 or 12 of the MPEG2s
in a specific order, and then add a few titles at the front and back, with
maybe a few more in the middle between clips, do I have to upgrade to DVD
Studio Pro? iDVD can't do this? It seems pretty basic.

Sorry if I'm boring everyone with a Video 101 question, but I'm new here and
don't know the flow yet.

Again, TIA,
Brian