[MacDV] Editing MPEG2 files (clarification)

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Fri Sep 24 08:46:55 PDT 2004

The problem is that MPEG-2 is not an editing format.  You can't directly
edit MPEG-2 with iMovie, Final Cut Pro, or any other "standard" editing app
out there.  I'm sure there are Windoze apps that let you work with MPEG-2
like it was DV, but in my opinion, it's just a hack.

Whatever individual told you to go to MPEG-2 files probably did not ask you
what you wanted to do with them, what system you were using, what software,
etc.  It would have been easier for them to dub to DV tape, and those DV
dubs would be much higher quality than MPEG-2, and you'd actually be able to
use them EASILY in iMovie and iDVD.

iDVD is an authoring program -- the only input files it will accept are
QuickTime files (the DV codec is preferred for quality and ease of
conversion).  It will not accept pre-encoded MPEG-2 files as an input file.

So that's about it, I think.  You just need DV...

Well...  Maybe you could use Toast 6 to hack something together close to
what you want...  It might be worth a try if you've already spent money
getting your stuff encoded into MPEG-2.

Hope that helps?

- Mark