[MacDV] Editing MPEG2 files (clarification)

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Fri Sep 24 08:51:24 PDT 2004

On Friday, September 24, 2004, at 11:33  AM, Brian Olesky wrote:

> OK, thru offlist and other posts, I've now learned enough to make my
> question a little clearer.
>
> What I want to be able to do is take a bunch of professionally
> produced 15
> to 60 second videos, which I have on individual BetaSP tapes, and
> string
> them together in varying compilations, to make custom reels that I can
> burn
> to DVD. Meaning I really don't have to do any film editing, just
> compiling.
>
> So what I've learned is, I don't need iMovie at all (unless I want to
> add
> some titles). And that I may have done the right thing by going
> straight to
> MPEG2s, because that's the format iDVD will need to enable me to make
> these
> custom DVDs?

Nope. iDVD works with DV files. It does it's own mpeg2 encoding. I do
not think you will have any luck loading mpeg2 files into iDVD
especially if they are mixed with Dv files from iMovie.
(Which will make nice titles)

> And that if I want to make some title cards to add in here and there,
> that's
> what I'd use iMovie for?
Yes. But you would be MUCH better off even with DV files on a DVD data
disc to use for your short edits.

> And one last question--If all I want to do is lay out 10 or 12 of the
> MPEG2s
> in a specific order, and then add a few titles at the front and back,
> with
> maybe a few more in the middle between clips, do I have to upgrade to
> DVD
> Studio Pro? iDVD can't do this? It seems pretty basic.

You might be able to use TOAST6 to do this but I don't know how much
you can control sequential playback. With iDVD you really have to use
iMovie or Final Cut to ultimately control sequential playback.
(important if you add a title in the DVD building stage.)
I really think only DVDSP gives you complete sequential control.
That said  I am getting GREAT results using the chapter markers in FCP
or iMovie and using iDVD. But iDVD doesn't start with Mpeg files. DV.
Your production house friend was misinformed. If you wanted to mess
around editing mpeg you should have gotten a SOny computer

> Sorry if I'm boring everyone with a Video 101 question, but I'm new
> here and
> don't know the flow yet.
>
> Again, TIA,
> Brian