[MacDV] Re: Editing MPEG2 files (clarification)--MacDV Digest, Vol 1, Issue 12

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Fri Sep 24 17:46:07 PDT 2004

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA

Alex,

As others have pointed out here it is best to avoid converting from
format to format to format because you lose quality each time.

The mpeg-2 files he has have already lost a substantial amount of
information compared to a Mini-DV transfer of the same thing.  (Hope
the production house put the spots on Mini-DV and not the larger DV
tapes!)

In order for Brian to have the control he wants and the end viewing
quality his professional work deserves he should have the spots on
Mini-DV first, then transfer them to iMovie (or better, yet, Final Cut
Express or Pro).

Once he's put them in the sequence he wants, he can add chapter markers
on the export from iMovie to iDVD and then use iDVD to create some good
looking menus and graphics and then have a good looking presentation
package.

When he can afford to, it might be worth his time to invest the $700 or
so it would take to get Final Cut Express and DVD Studio Pro.  (Or take
a local college class to qualify for the educational pricing on both,
which would lower the cost, or bring Final Cut Pro 4 into the same
range as the retail version of FCE.)

If nothing else, he can make some bucks putting together his friend's
demo reels.

My experience with all four Apple products (iMovie/iDVD & FCP/DVDSP) is
that where time is money, get the professional product. It allows more
flexibility and control, while not being that much more of a learning
curve than the consumer products.)