[MacDV] Re: Editing MPEG2 files (clarification)

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Fri Sep 24 22:35:09 PDT 2004

HOLD ON ANOTHER MIN

Alex's suggestion will allow you to create DV files from the MPEG2 files.

But just be aware that DV files converted from MPEG2 files will be
lower quality than DV files created from the original masters. The
conversion to MPEG2 results in a lot of compression. If you edit DV
files created this way in iMovie, and send the result to iDVD, it
will be compressed AGAIN. I've never tried this myself, but I've seen
a lot of discussion of this process on this list and others.

If the quality is important, let the production company make DV
copies directly from the master tapes.

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>