[MacDV] Re: Editing MPEG2 files (clarification)

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sat Sep 25 08:02:08 PDT 2004

On Saturday, September 25, 2004, at 01:35  AM, Gordon B. Alley wrote:

> HOLD ON ANOTHER MIN
>
> Alex's suggestion will allow you to create DV files from the MPEG2
> files.
>
> But just be aware that DV files converted from MPEG2 files will be
> lower quality than DV files created from the original masters. The
> conversion to MPEG2 results in a lot of compression. If you edit DV
> files created this way in iMovie, and send the result to iDVD, it will
> be compressed AGAIN. I've never tried this myself, but I've seen a lot
> of discussion of this process on this list and others.

Having captured from a DVD to DV and then pumped it back to DVD  I can
tell you that this process mashes up the video pretty good.(and can
mess up your audio too) I am sure that confining this process to the
digital realm will be better but not much.

> If the quality is important, let the production company make DV copies
> directly from the master tapes.

And if tapes don't suit you. have them lay these one minute bits on a
DVD data disc, which can hold a bunch of 1 minute DV clips.
Jim