[MacDV] 16:9 and 4:3 in same project

Frank Garcia fgarcia at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 3 17:48:10 PDT 2005

At 5:22 PM -0700 4/3/05, macdv-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

>For this project I've captured the footage in FCExpress and have made sure
>that the ratios in the sequences are correct. The 4:3 and 16:9 sequences
>were then saved separately. I've imported them into DVDSPro and set their
>tracks to their respective ratios.
>
>If I set the 16:9 track in DVDSP to Letterbox and then set the 4:3 track
>to "end run" to the 16:9 track and the user chooses "Play all video" in my
>main menu should the 4:3 footage all of a sudden change to letterbox when
>it changes track? If so that's fine with me. I'll also be setting up menus
>to choose these segments independently.

Hi Brett,

For me, I would make all footage 4:3 outside of DVDSP as much as
possible with FCX. Compose, edit and letterbox the footage in FCX,
output, render in Compressor, drop into DVDSP and away you go. You
won't even have to touch the track settings.

Some DVD players, if you use 16:9 and then ask DVDSP to LBX it for
you, has a funny wavy light behind the footage, where the black bars
are supposed to be and it's weird. That's what happened to me, and i
had to figure out how to LBX all widescreen footage outside of DVDSP
first.