[MacDV] Had to bail!

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Tue Apr 5 19:01:23 PDT 2005

Well, last night, after my project build had sat on 38% from 4pm to 10pm,
and checking in Apple's "Activity Monitor" utility that there was no
serious activity going on (DVDSPro was flittering between 1 and 6% CPU
activity and nothing else was hitting higher than 8%) I hit the cancel
button. What a waste of electricity!  ;-}

Not knowing any other options I changed my preferences to Background
Encoding and thought that it may have a better chance of doing it at its
own pace.

Later that night, in the assets tab I noticed that there were a few items
that had green lights in the "Available" column and one or two had orange
lights. I was guessing that the orange items were busy encoding in the
B'grnd and the green light items had finished encoding.

I looked again in the Activity Monitor utility and noticed that there was
a "DSP Encoder" process running and it was hitting 80+% CPU activity so it
was actually working.

This morning I took a look at all the assets and there were no orange
lights, just green, however one of my large video assets had no lights
next to it (green or orange). The encoding settings were the same for it
as the others. Any thoughts about why this may not have encoded or why
there are no indicator lights next to it? Double clicking on the asset
played it in the Viewer so it's not dead as far as I can see.

As for where the encoded items reside, there is an MPEG folder that has
appeared in my project's folder. I can see reduced-size QuickTime files of
my in there and the total folder is approx 2.1GB in size. This is far
short of the 4GB disc it will be burned to but if this folder is missing
my last encoded video (mentioned above) then it may end up coming to the
4+GB total.

Would my assumptions be correct here?

And if I change the disc properties in DVDSPro to a dual layer disc, will
it then begin to re-encode the assets again in the background to the newer
disc size or do I need to force it to do it?

Many thanks,

Cojcolds