[MacDV] HD where?

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 7 11:00:41 PDT 2005

I think you are confused about what I was asking <g>

The "Madagascar" trailer – compressed with the DIVX HD codec – is only
55 MB and has a playing time of two minutes. So a CD-R could hold about
20 minutes of video with the same DIVX HD format. Granted, this is not
the same as the broadcast HDTV standard, but it sure does play at a
much higher resolution on a computer screen than the best NTSC DV
currently available using QuickTime codecs. I'm guessing that the DIVX
HD probably won't play from the CD drive. Everyone would probably have
to copy the DIVX HD movie onto their hard drive.

I'm asking whether the new version of QuickTime (v. 7?) will include a
new codec (I'm thinking specifically of the one getting all the
publicity. I think it's called H.264) capable of taking HDV footage
(from the new Sony camcorder, for example – edited with the new version
of Final Cut Express) and creating a QuickTime movie equivalent to the
these DIVX HD movie trailers.

Steve R.