[MacDV] HD where?

Ronald Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Thu Apr 7 09:48:24 PDT 2005

Do you mean distribution on DVD?  CD-R only has a capacity of only
650-700 MBytes.  A CD-R might hold maybe 3-5 minutes of HD video,
depending on compression.  I think you are confused about what HDV or
HDTV actually means...

NTSC (SDV) resolution is 720 pixels/line X 480 scan lines for a total
of 345,600 pixels for EACH frame of the video stream ...and there are
29.97 frames per second.  Of course, NTSC video is interlaced so the
data arrives at slightly different times as two fields within each
frame.  Uncompressed NTSC video is over 30 MBytes per second of data.

ATSC (HDV) resolution is 1,920 pixels/line X 1,080 scan line for a
total of 2,073,600 pixels per frame of HDV video ...at 30 frames per
second, non-interlaced.  Rounded off, that yields about 6X the data
rate of NTSC video.

HDTV is a very specific resolution.  Unless you have a monitor or TV
screen that delivers that resolution, it's not HD.  A QuickTime window
on your computer monitor that is not 1,920 X 1080 will not be HDTV
resolution and is not considered HD quality no matter how good the
image looks.

Back to the data rate issue.  The current DVD venue is not sufficient
for HDTV.  Yes, you can get DVDs that deliver "widescreen" video that
fits the HDTV aspect ratio of 16:9, but it is not HDTV resolution or
quality.  The current DVD format, which use MPEG-2 compression, doesn't
have enough capacity, nor does it have the ability to deliver the data
rate.  Two competing formats have been proposed.  Various manufacturers
and producers of content are now aligning themselves behind one format
or the other.  These are HD-DVD and BluRay.  It's the whole Beta vs.
VHS thing all over again.  Both of these proposals include H.264, an
improved derivative of MPEG-4 (layer 10, I believe), as the compression
technology with full compliance to the MPEG standards by the way.

Look up these two keywords on Google and see what the issues are
regarding storage capacities and data rates.  Bottom line: ATSC (HDV)
is not your father's NTSC (SDV).  High-definition video is a very
different thing than what we've used for the past 50-60 years.  We are
just beginning the transition.  Most of what we think is HDV is not
true high definition.  "A huge QuickTime Player window" that opens and
plays beautiful HD animation is not really HD unless the resolution is
really HD resolution.

Sorry to labor this issue.  This is a time of transition ...and of
confusion.

Ronald Woodland -- St. George, Utah  84770
This email is a natural human product.  Slight variations
in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character
and beauty and should in no way be considered flaws
or defects.