[MacDV] HD where?

Ronald Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Wed Apr 6 20:30:09 PDT 2005

I know there are many who think DivX is a wonderful addition to the
repertoire of codecs now available in the video compression arena.  But
the fact is It's a bastard codec that only further fragments the
compatibility landscape.  It is based on an early version of the MPEG-4
codec, before the MPEG committee finalized the MPEG-4 standard.  Yes,
I'm sure improvements have been made by DivX that in some ways is
better than MPEG-4.  Had those improvements been brought to the MPEG
committee, it possibly would have made the MPEG-4 product better.  But
the DivX people chose to go their own way and develop a proprietary
product rather than support an open standard that would further
cross-platform, cross-technology compatibility.  Divx should not be
used or endorsed or encouraged.

I say this at the risk of starting a heated exchange.  This is my
opinion -- I felt it needed to be said.  If you don't agree, it's okay
and life will go on.

Ronald Woodland -- St. George, Utah  84770
This email is a natural human product.  Slight variations
in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character
and beauty and should in no way be considered flaws
or defects.