[MacDV] 8x DVD-R's

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Tue Apr 19 20:47:46 PDT 2005

Hello,

I've got a Dual 2Ghz G5 with an 8x SuperDrive (PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D,
Revision: A707)

When I first got it, I bought no name SuperMediaStore.com 8x DVD-R's.
They burned fine at 8x but did not play reliably in the most DVD
players. As a matter of fact, they would not even play in one of
Apple's older DVD-ROM units if burned at 8x. However, if burned at 1x
they played fine in all but one 5yr old Aiwa DVD player.

Well, the difference between 1x and 8x is about 42 minutes of burn
time. So when it was time to buy new DVD-R's I went with the top of the
line (and most expensive) Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R's. So I burn one at 8x
and it *still* won't play in Apple's older DVD-ROM unit.

Does anyone have any experience with 8x DVD-R's that play reliably in
most DVD players?

Or is it a dirty little secret that 8x may work in the machine that
burned it, but not anywhere else?

Should I send the TaiyoYuden's back and get something else?

TIA
--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com