[MacDV] Mics

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 21 05:25:18 PDT 2005

On Wednesday, April 20, 2005, at 11:38  PM, AnonBilly wrote:
> I have a Sony DCR-TRV480 camcorder.  The one thing I didn't check
> before I got it was external mics.  According to Sony you cannot
> attach a mic to it.  There isn't a hot shoe nor a mic jack.

Since you are thinking in terms of using an external mic, this is
probably a situation where you have some directorial control. In that
kind of situation, you can always make a separate audio recording using
something like a MiniDisc recorder. Just before the start of each
camcorder shot, make a sharp, loud noise (clapboard, hand clap, gunshot
<g> ) that is recorded both on your separate audio and on the
camcorder's audio. Using that loud sound as a reference point, you will
be able to sync your video and separate audio with very little effort.
Then just turn off the audio from the camcorder's tape.

Steve R.