[MacDV] Re: Firewire Video

sb videovideo at mac.com
Mon Apr 25 13:36:36 PDT 2005

Do you broadcast the switched downstream signal? Or just record it and then
play it back at a later time?

The Data Video firewire switcher works great, if you are in a studio
setting.

You're still going to have the problem of the cable coming out if the camera
moves around a lot or there are people walking over the cables.

For harddrive recording, it is pretty reliable. You can use RAID3 for really
reliable recording.
Make sure you get rebust firewire cables, not cheapo ones. (Markertek sells
good ones, so do plenty of others).

If you don't need to immediately broadcast the switched signal, you might
want to consider using a Firestore type device attached to each camera to
iso record each camera's video and then, in the new FCP5, you can do real
multicam editing. You select all the camera angles in the browser, click on
Make Multicam, and all the angles show up in the viewer. You can then just
click on the camera you want onscreen at any particular time. It's just like
live camera switching, except you can always change your mind.

 regards,

 sb