[MacDV] Re: 8x DVD-R's

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Mon Apr 25 20:47:20 PDT 2005

On Apr 22, 2005, at 8:17 PM, Nick Scalise wrote:
>  I took my 8x TaiyoYuden (TY) to the local MegaLoMart and tried it on
> many different brands of portable DVD players and settop DVD players.
> I would say I got about 50% success rate. (I did not record my results
> on this run).
>
> So, I bought some TDK's that were on sale at CompUSA (TDK's are also
> highly regarded at DigitalFAQ.com) and here's my results:
>
> Portables:
> Polaroid:	OK
> Toshiba:		OK
> Sony:		OK
> Panasonic: 	No
> Toshiba II:	No
> Apex:		No
> Coby:		No
>
> At first I was thinking maybe some of the portables had dirty lenses,
> etc. But then I looked at the data side of the demo DVD's that were in
> there, they were very scratched and they played fine.
>
> Settops:
> Coby:		No (Played but sound was bad and video pixelated)
> Sony:		OK
> Zenith:		No
> Toshiba:		No
> JVC:		OK
> Sony II:		OK
> Pioneer:		OK (I believe this to be OK as the menu on the DVD player
> came up OK. It was not properly connected to a TV.
> Hitachi:		No
> Norcent: 	No (Played but sound was bad and video pixelated)
>
> The TY's failed at about the same rate as the TDK's.That to me is a
> pretty horrible record.  Are you folks who have burned disks at 8x
> saying that your success rate is higher? Could it be that I have a
> defective DVD recorder?
>
> Oh, BTW, the TY was burned at 8x using Toast from a disk image created
> from iDVD 4. The TDK had the same image burned at 8x from the Finder.

So I burn a different, new image at 4x on the TDK's 8X DVD-R and I get
even worse results at the Mart:

Portables:
Polaroid		No
Toshiba		OK
Sony		No
Panasonic	No
Toshiba II	No
Apex		No
Coby 		No

SetTops:
Coby		No
Coby II		No
Pioneer		OK
JVC			No
Panasonic	No
Sony		OK
JVC II		NO
Toshiba		No
Norcent		No
Samsung	No

Anybody have any clue as to why these dvd's are failing when burned at
half speed? Could it be my burner?

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com