[MacDV] Re: 8x DVD-R's

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Mon Apr 25 21:36:55 PDT 2005

They are quite bad results!

Burning at the slower speed really should be producing a better quality
burn.

I'd have to guess that your burner is having issues.

Also when performing tests, I personally always try to produce consistent
results at least twice - to confirm the end results. In your case, I would
have burned 2 discs (of the same brand) and tried them both in each
machine. That way, if you did have a bad burn (when testing just one disc)
you would be able to clearly recognise it and wouldn't write off the
branded disc as being bad quality.

Of course if the burner is playing up and both discs were shot then that
would probably skew your thinking if you didn't take your testing any
further - i.e. try same brand discs in a different burner, to be sure.

I use TDK discs and haven't made a single coaster yet. But I'm burning
with my AlBook Superdrive at 1X. My 16X LaCie DL burner is hopefully
arriving tonight.

In the coming days I may be changing my tune!  ;-D

Cheers,

Coj

Nick Scalise <nickscalise at mac.com>

So I burn a different, new image at 4x on the TDK's 8X DVD-R and I get
even worse results at the Mart:

Portables:
Polaroid                                 No
Toshiba                          OK
Sony                             No
Panasonic                No
Toshiba II               No
Apex                             No
Coby                             No

SetTops:
Coby                             No
Coby II                          No
Pioneer                          OK
JVC                                              No
Panasonic                No
Sony                             OK
JVC II                           NO
Toshiba                          No
Norcent                          No
Samsung          No

Anybody have any clue as to why these dvd's are failing when burned at
half speed? Could it be my burner?

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com