[MacDV] DVRs

Patty Winter patty1 at sonic.net
Fri Apr 29 15:47:59 PDT 2005

   >From: John Mistretta <mistretta at mac.com>
   >
   >On Apr 29, 2005, at 3:20 PM, Tom Meyer wrote:
   >> I have a panasonic DVR which is not subscription based. It has an
   >> internal hard drive that I think is 80 or 120 gigs. It is able to
   >> acquire the TV guide which is then used to schedule recordings as well
   >> as choose what to watch.
   >
   >I was wrong about that in a prior post, how does the TV guide work and
   >where does it come from?

I'm going to guess that the Panasonic uses TV Guide Onscreen, which is
also built into my Sony HX900. The unit acquires the information from
whichever local TV station/stations is/are sending it within their
broadcast signal. (Let me guess--on line 21 of the vertical blanking
interval? That seems to be where everything else [closed captioning;
XDS program names, channel names, times, etc.] is stuffed. :-) )

Patty