[MacDV] Producing video in letterbox format

Gordon Alley gordon.alley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 00:01:27 PDT 2005

I have QuickTime Pro 7.0.1, Final Cut Express 2.0.3, iMovie HD 5.0.2,
and iDVD 5.0.1.

I've recently recorded some video in 16:9 format with my Canon Elura
65 miniDV camcorder. I haven't imported it into my Mac yet.

After editing the video, I'd like to transfer it to VHS tape and to DVD.

My question is about how to get the video onto VHS tape in 4:3
letterbox format. With 16:9 video on the cassette, the analog output
of the camcorder produces 4:3 anamorphic widescreen, which is standard
TV format with the 16:9 video compressed horizontally to 4:3
proportions. A widescreen TV or monitor can stretch that back out to a
normal-looking widescreen image, but it looks squished horizontally on
a normal TV.

I want the video to be viewable on a normal TV. Hence the desire to
produce letterbox format. Can QT, FCE, or iMovie HD produce letterbox
format? If not, what else do I need?

Thanks.

--
Gordon B. Alley