[MacDV] LaCie FW 800 and Canon cameras on the same bus. No!

Phelim Lunny yangzone at aol.com
Wed Aug 10 01:57:40 PDT 2005

This probably will not effect many users but anyone trying to capture from a
Canon camera using a LaCie FW 800 drive (even in FW 400 mode) on a Apple
iBook or Powerbook could have this problem. Anyone daisy-chaining the two on
a desktop system might also face this problem.

I recently got an iMac G5 2GHz to tide me over till the rev b's of the Intel
G5 desktops.

['Had been using FCP on a 800MHz Powerbook with a FW PC Card for a LaCie FW
800 500GB drive (and a Dell 24" Monitor). Also 'had been using another ext
drive on the FW port with a Canon XM2 (that's a PAL GL1. That's 2 buses: FW
and PCMCIA.)]

The iMac gave me a nice 20" screen and just the amount of speed bump to keep
me happy till '07.

Anyone who has tried using USB to capture may have noticed that Apple's
implementation of USB 2.0 is inadequate. So essentially the iMac has one
(usable) external bus for DV capture: Firewire.

But I noticed that FCP (and even iChatAV) would not work with the XM2 until
the LaCie is disconncted. No problem with my other FW drive connected.

After some amount of searching with no help from LaCie or Canon 'eventually
found a quote from Tom Wolsky on an apple discussion thread: " LaCie does
not support the use of Canon cameras connected on one bus."

Anyway, now I have to capture to the (450GB) iMac internal drive and then
transfer to the LaCie for editing. Print-to-tape is also a snag later on.

The apple discussion thread:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@758.nkWWa4n84l4.1@.68b65020/0