[MacDV] Internet Kills Mac Apps [TAN]

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Thu Aug 18 00:02:46 PDT 2005

Does the owner have an external drive they can boot off to see if the
problem is system related or potentially hardware related?

Coj

Steve Robertson <stever at mindspring.com>

This doesn't have anything to do with video, but this is the largest
group of Mac experts I can contact easily.

A friend of mine bought an old Powerbook from me. It runs OS 9.2.2 and
is connected to the Internet by a cable modem. About a week ago, the
cable company suffered some extensive storm damage. When the cable
service returned, my friend found that she could not open the two
pieces of software she uses most of the time – Internet Explorer and
Outlook Express.

After doing some exploring, I found that any software that relies on
the Internet would not open. In other words, Netscape Communicator
behaves exactly like the Microsoft products. They put up a splash
screen, then just disappear. No dialog box. Any software that does NOT
rely on the Internet opens and works fine.

The control panels that relate to the Internet will open and have all
the correct info entered. I even tried switching to the basic control
panels. No help. The cable company is coming today to make sure the
cable modem is working properly, but I can't imagine any way that a bad
cable box could kill software like this.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve R.