[MacDV] DVDSP2 encoding glitches

Tommy Mandel tmandel at rcn.com
Mon Aug 29 19:34:56 PDT 2005

I've done a 100 minute musical/cartoon, and it's in .m2v form on 3
DVDSP2 tracks. (I bought and used Cinematize to retrieve (demux?)  the
streams from an experimental DVD of it that I burned with an early
version of iDVD, whose quality I couldn't recapture with the iDVDv.5
upgrade! and then dragged these source files into DVDSPv.2). (I own all
rights to this piece.)
I then added chapter markers in DVDSP2, which I nudged when I started
having the following problem, to no avail.
---problem: It plays fine in Simulation mode, and also when I drag the
track's video.m2v (source) file onto QuickTime (v.7) in the Finder.
But when I open the Video_TS folder in DVDPlayer 2.7, each track plays
all okay, except for one chapter on track 2, with rapidly changing
video: (1min 29seconds 10frames  out of the 36 minute track); this
chapter plays for .5sec, then stops; i must hit the space bar and then
it plays the next .5sec, on and on until the next chapter begins, which
is fine again.
   I encoded the project in 2 pass VBR, minimum 4Mbps, maximum 7Mbps,
Motion Detection=best, Field selection=Automatic.  Is this part of the
problem? If so, Which way should I tweak any of these parameters to
solve my problem, or is it something else entirely? I haven't been able
to try this in a commercial DVD player, but I reason that if it
glitches in DVD Player, then it won't work in the real world either.
Thanks for any help.
Tommy Mandel, nyc, mostly musician, but love this visual thing. OSX
v.10.3.9, Quicktime 7, DVDSP2, iMovieHD, Photoshop v.7.01, Compressor
v.1.2.1 (I'm not sure I'm even using this), Cinematize v.2.0. TiBook
667/DVI, 1GB RAM, 100GB Seagate Momentus HD.