[MacDV] ADVC 110 and music?

Granville Kennedy gskiii at verizon.net
Mon Dec 26 17:21:19 PST 2005

On Dec 26, 2005, at 3:57 PM, Lanny Cotler wrote:

> But I want to add my own voice as segues sometimes. The audio input
> on my G4 desktop doesn't work with a mic/headset I bought at (and
> returned to) Radioshack. In fact, I can't get a mic to work in the
> audio input jack on my Mac. Why not? Impedance mismatch? I dunno.
>
> And I, too, have a lot of audio cassettes, 7-inch reel-to-reel
> tapes, and vinyl records that I would like to transfer to CDs.
> What's the best way to do it?
>
> I will look into the hardware and software that Ray is using. But I
> could use a short tutorial on the general subject. Can anyone
> help...or point me to such?

Okay, this is a re-try.  My first attempt got bounced by the
listserver for being too long!

In previous posts you mentioned having a MDD G4.  So do I.  I haven't
tried using the audio input jack on the back, so I can't answer your
question there.  If you can get it to work it might be okay for doing
voice-over in iMovie, but as far as any more demanding audio work
goes, don't even try it.  The built-in audio is 16bit- 44.1kHz, the
standard used in CD audio format (Red Book, I believe.)  This means
it samples the sound in 16 bit pieces 44,100 times per second.  But
it relies on the clock on the motherboard, which is, to be polite,
crap for quality audio work.  Ever wonder why your Mac can't even
keep good time and needs to check the NTP servers to keep the proper
time?  Cheap crystals in the clock oscillators.  The other reason
using the built-in audio is unsatisfactory is the sample rate is to
low to give an adequate sample for use with audio processing
software.  I've tried running files from cassettes through noise
reduction software, and it ends up sounding like chunks of the music
are missing.

If you can use the RCA left and right inputs in the ADVC-110 to input
sound into iMovie, then all you need to do is connect a line out from
your receiver into them and then you can use any analog device that
you can connect to the receiver.  But I don't know the sample size
and rate the ADVC-110 will give you.  I suspect it's something that
conforms to the DV standard, whatever that is.  Pretty sure most
cameras use 16-bit sound, I do know audio sync get fouled up if you
opt for 12-bit sound.  But again this may be a problem when trying to
reduce the noise inherent in cassettes and LP's.

My advice is to get either a PCI card to handle audio, or a USB or
Firewire solution.  I have the M-Audio 2496 Audiophile card in a PCI
slot and the M-Audio MobilePre in a USB port.  The Audiophile card
samples at 24 bit-96 kHz max, which is what I use with my bootleg
cassettes.  It has RCA ins and outs in stereo.  Newer cards even
support 5.1 surround sound, which is more than I care to deal with,
but does have its uses in the movies :-)  THe MobilePre is a
microphone preamp that has two XLR mic jacks, one 1/8" stereo jack
for a stereo mic, and two 1/4" line level inputs for instruments.  It
can only provide two channels of input to the Mac over the USB, but
that's plenty for me.

You should also look into the mic/headset combos that plug into the
USB - that might be a quick and easy solution.  I talk about software
in the next post, so as not to get bounced again :-)

Regards,
			Joey Kennedy.