[MacDV] ADVC 110 and music?

Granville Kennedy gskiii at verizon.net
Mon Dec 26 18:05:28 PST 2005

On Dec 26, 2005, at 3:57 PM, Lanny Cotler wrote:

> I will look into the hardware and software that Ray is using. But I
> could use a short tutorial on the general subject. Can anyone
> help...or point me to such?
>
> TIA,
>
> Lanny

Well, that seems to have gone well, no more bounce back on a overlong
response :-)

Before I launch into software, I will allow myself a digression into
the usefulness of the MobilePre USB mic preamp.  It will be handy for
recording live events where I will not want to or be able to record
the sound with the MiniDV cam.  Since it is USB powered, I'll just
hook it up to the USB port on the Lombard and I'll have a reasonably
portable recording rig.  Now if I could only figure a way to attach a
laptop stand to the mic boom :-)

Software, then.  I've found the Amadeus II shareware to be a real
workhorse at a very reasonable price, and it's author to be very
responsive to suggestions and bug reports.  Since I'm to strapped to
justify a second license, on the Lombard I'm using Peak DV which came
with my copy of FCP 3.  It works well enough, though I wish I had a
users manual somewhere....  I've also used Felt Tip Sound Studio,
which is just Sound Studio these days, I think, but prefer Amadeus
II.  The M-Audio hardware comes with drivers and control panels/
applications that allow you to configure the input and output
devices, but it's all pretty basic stuff.  If you use Audio Hijack
Pro these will be basic stuff for sure.  If you wanted I'm sure you
could even use GarageBand to do this work, but it's such a resource
hog that I wouldn't use it unless you were actually composing
something new...

Here are some links you might find useful -

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/701341/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/700714/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/180642/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/703670/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/247506/

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/MacAlly/IVOICE/

I really like Musicians Friend and OWC.  Never had a bad deal from
either of them.

Regards,
			Joey Kennedy.