[MacDV] Capturing laserdisc

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Dec 30 08:09:08 PST 2005

At 9:47 AM -0600 12/30/05, whoisquilty wrote:
>Is S-Video the best connection I'm going to get? Are there players
>that have component video? And are there component signal to DV
>converters?

I have one Pioneer with Component out video, it's a combo LD/DVD
player.  I've not gotten time to check, but I think it's only for the
DVD portion.

For converting I've used a Canopus ADVC-100 converter to go from
S-Video to Firewire.  It is definitely worth the effort to get a
setup that can do this, as the only way to get some movies, or some
versions of movies is on Laserdisc.  Good examples would be the
original version of Star Wars (or the SE for that matter), the
non-Directors Cut version of Bladerunner, or the non-censored version
of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".  Then there are disks that are only
available as pan & scan on DVD, but Widescreen on LD.

If this was a Audio question, with LP's vs. CD's I'd just recommend
investing in good playback hardware and a record cleaning machine, as
properly maintained LP's will last practically forever (proper
equipment results in minimal wear and tear).  LD's are a different
matter, bit-rot has been shown to be a problem, especially as disks
age.

On a related note, I'm rather concerned about the lifespan of DVD's
having invested quite a bit in them, Universal Boxed Sets seem to be
especially troublesome.  In fact box sets as a whole seem to have a
lot higher failure rate than single movies.

		Zane