[MacDV] Re: Capturing laserdisc

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Fri Dec 30 10:12:30 PST 2005

On 12/30/05 at 9:05 AM, whoisquilty <whoisquilty at gmail.com> transmitted
the following electronic message:

>I've got a few laserdiscs titles that I haven't gotten the DVDs for.
>I'd rather not purchase the DVDs as I already paid for the laserdiscs
>(and some of the titles aren't on DVD).
>
>How can I get the best quality audio and video in my capture from
>laserdisc? My player broke a couple of years ago and I haven't
>bothered replacing it. I'd probably rent one to use to capture the
>discs I've got.
>
>Is S-Video my best choice? Or is there something better?
>
>Thanks for any help,

Having gone through this with a number of my laserdisc titles that
aren't available on DVD, I've used two methods:

1) play the LD through the AV playthrough of my digicam into iMovie,
where I take care of the flip/change disc issues, then export out
through iDVD or DVDSP.

2) Play the LD through my EyeTV 200 and use the EyeTV software to deal
with the flip/change issues. Then export as elementary streams and
author with DVDSP (still using version 3, here). (Use the S-Video
connector if the LD player has an S-Video Out.)

Method 2 is much faster and easier (and requires far less free disk
space). I also don't see a quality difference. Thus, that is the method
I employ these days, but if you don't have an EyeTV 200, method 1 will
do the job for you.

--
Dennis R. Cohen