[MacDV] Re: true cost of Sony VX2100 + audio

sb videovideo at mac.com
Tue Feb 22 18:45:38 PST 2005

Take a look at the panasonic DVX100a. It sells for about $3,000 and has XLR
inputs. It's picture looks great and you can also shoot in 24P if your
program will go straight to DVD. Panasonic has a bonus running right now,
you get a copy of Magic Bullet plug in for film look, and also a book and
DVD on using the DVX100a.

The new Sony HDV camera looks great too. It does not have XLR inputs and the
timecode is not addresable, but you can switch between HDV and SD.

I've shot with them both and would recommend either over the VX2100 for
about the same price.

Spend about $500 on a decent tripod. Spend the same or more on at least one
(and preferably two) wireless mic sets. Buy a decent 3 or 4 input mixer. Get
a shotgun mic and fishpole. Get a nice LED camera light and at least 4 more
stand lights... I could go on.

 my .02

 sb