[MacDV] Buffer Underrun in iDVD

AnonBilly anonbilly at dockpoint.net
Sun Feb 27 01:02:27 PST 2005

I am trying to burn a DVD project and am receiving the following error:

The recording device reported the illegal request:  Buffer underrun.
(0x21, 0x02.)

I have searched the web, FAQs and when back thru 2 years of postings on
this list and have had no luck.

I am using a 1 Ghz G4 with 2-120 GB hard drives (each with 20+ GBs to
spare) 2 GB RAM.  I am running OS 10.3.8 (Tried the burn once with
10.3.4 before the upgrade)  I have iDVD 4.0.1 and iMovie 4.0.1.  I am
using Sony DVD-Rs that are 1x-4x compatible.  I have had success
burning a small project with iDVD and burning back-up movies with Toast
6.

After making my 3rd coaster, I noticed that the flaw always occurs
between 21:46:01 and 21:50:07 of the largest iMovie import.  (Not sure
that matters.)  The video stops playing at that point while the sound
continues.

I have tried:

Turning the Energy Saver to Never.
Turning off the Screen Saver.
Quitting all other applications (and leaving the computer alone.)
Restarting iDVD and the computer.
Cleaning the superdrive.

The only things I have not tried are to recreate the project, as it is
a large project (lots of short clips) and buying 1x only DVDs.

Thanks in advance for your help!
--
Billy M

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand
binary and those who don't."