[MacDV] DV n00b looking for some direction

Jonathan I. Nori JIN at destinyimage.com
Tue Jan 4 12:37:18 PST 2005

Thank you, this was just the kind of information I was hoping for. :)

I am working with a local ISP that has video-over-IP experience for doing small videoconference webcasts to figure out the IP side of things.

I am going to be trying to transmit an MPEG2 or MPEG4 signal, but my worst-case scenario is that I will just film the thing and then burn it to DVD and make the DVD available for download from a private FTP server for the broadcast site. They want things in PAL, but I'm all NTSC, so I have to make sure to keep my source material encoding-free (if I can).

I'm sure I will have more basic-duh questions in the near future as I scale the learning-curve wall, but this list seems like a good place to get answers.

Thank you!

(and I'm looking forward to being able to help other people as I get more experience in this)

Jon  8^)

>>> alex at fotomotion.net 01/04/05 05:26AM >>>
Hi Jon

Have no fear that you have chosen badly

Just a few bones :-) no picking though :-D

Make sure the G4 is a Dual Processor Live Channel 2 will use one of
them and you will need the other for other content programs (photoshop
ect...) to run at the same time.
All the other kit will work fine as is.
Live Channel Pro 2 is hands down, the best bit of software on any
platform for live internet edit and broadcast, IMHO. And at $1000 it is
just so tasty!

As you are coming from a broadcast background be aware that LCP2
outputs at a resolution of 320 x 240 and anything bigger is scaled from
that
So if you want to rebroadcast your content via more traditional means
on pickup, there could be problems on that score
Saying that, if you and your content receiver are willing to take that
hit, you are saving yourself the financial hit of more traditional
means.

LCP2 has its own built in broadcast server, if you choose that option,
announce the server and select compression setting (Broadcast menu)
your away, thats it!
To optimise your streams you will need some help locally from someone
who knows video over IP, your knowledge in broadcast will come in handy
to.
All these settings are in the Broadcast, Unicast and Multicast settings.

As a final note this is a viable option for an on-location producer to
have unlimited library footage, unlimited live sources, still graphics
etc... edit them and broadcast them via the internet.
As for the receiver is concerned, as long as the non PAL/NTSC signal is
workable, via scaling or layover on a graphic at native resolution,
then fine.
Of course they will need to have the tech knowhow their end to use the
live Quicktime stream that you are providing, and that's a whole
different story.

Hope this helps

Alex