[MacDV] Toast/copying DVD-R

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Fri Jan 7 07:48:52 PST 2005

On Friday, January 7, 2005, at 10:04  AM, James Asherman wrote:

>> Okay, Jim, what do you mean "...we had 'speed disked' his disk to
>> have contiguous free space previously"? If there were 20 gigs
>> available.......??

I just want to say, in case you are unfamiliar with this concept that
speed disk(Norton) defragments.
You might have 20 gigs. But there may be no more than Half a gig
actually free with no files inside .
So your 20 gigs could be small fragments bounded by other small
fragments of data.
Your data itself may be split up in an unattractive way.
Speed disk moves around your files so that whatever free space you have
appears as one big space.
This does make a difference when processing large files or using the
automatic virtual memory,
both of which are happening when you copy a DVD.
I do this every two or three months on my boot drive.
I also have a main capture drive which is kept empty between jobs.
And a third drive to store video and DVD files for later. ( I also make
this a second boot drive and start from it to defrag the main boot
drive.)
Jim