[MacDV] Re: Toast/copying DVD-R (Long explanation)

Gregg Gorrie ggorrie at telus.net
Thu Jan 13 15:29:44 PST 2005

on 1/9/05 10:05 AM, sb at videovideo at mac.com wrote:

> Lanny:

> To digress just a little, I recommend that you buy an external drive and
> Clone your main hard drive. Keep this drive and then using the Drag and Drop
> method, copy over the User Folder every week or so or even set up SuperDuper
> to do it automatically every evening.
> I'm sure you know that when you copy a folder onto a location where there is
> already an existing folder of the same name, the computer will ask you if
> you want to replace it. This is what you want it to do, so that you are
> constantly updating your backup drive. That way, if you have a problem with
> your main hard drive, you are all backed up.
>
> Anytime you update the OS or install new software, you can do the whole
> Clone again.
>
> Having a hard drive go down or get corrupted happens to EVERYBODY!
> Eventually. It sounds like you are doing a lot of stuff that is important to
> you and that if it all went away one day you would be very upset.
>
> hth,
>
> regards,
>
> sb

Alternatively, you can use Retrospect. Once you've done a complete backup of
everything, it will do incremental backups (ie only backup any new or
modified files) either manually or automatically at specified intervals. You
can use just about any type of media for backup including tape, CD-R(W),
DVD-R(W), hard drives, and removable (Jaz, Syqest, etc.).
--
Gregg