[MacDV] January 1, 2009 Doomsday Plan

Ryan Sutter tastyrerun at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 07:47:18 PDT 2005

I am quite serious, and it's not simply because I don't watch.  I
don't intend to say that people will stop sitting and watching dopey
crap.  I just think they'll get it in a different form.  The Internet
or an Internet-inspired television model will provide their dopey
shows in personalized ways leaving "broadcast" about as relevant as
8-tracks.

Eventually some major network is going to open their entire archive of
shows from all eras for "on-demand" presentation to direct subscribers
over their websites.  You can catch every episode of "Blossom" ever
made in a stream, sitting on your butt the whole time.  You can watch
"Hope & Faith" until your eyes bleed.  You can relive the "Luke and
Laura" saga on General Hospital or rediscover who shot JR.  They'll
still call it television, but it will be digital streams coming
through digital pipes and completely personalized.  A client-server
model, just like the Internet.  It's already happening and 10 years
from now it will become clear that nobody will want to be a slave to a
broadcast schedule anymore.

I said "broadcast television" had no future, and it doesn't.
Personalized digital streamed television is going to own the market.
DVR's and digital cable are just the start.

Ryan

On 7/18/05, Brian Olesky <brian4 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 7/18/05 5:31 PM, "Ryan Sutter" <tastyrerun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I see no future whatsoever in broadcast
> > television.
>
> Are you serious? Just because you don't watch, don't think everyone else
> feels the same way. Have you noticed how many millions of people watch even
> the dopiest shows on TV? Every single night? And all day long, too--think
> Oprah, the Soaps, etc. Do you think the big corporations continue to pour
> billions of dollars into TV commercials every year because nobody's
> watching? Have you noticed all the excitement lately around DLP, LCD, Plasma
> and other new types of televisions? Do you think they're buying all those
> sets to run their Netflix DVD's? Trust me, broadcast TV is alive and well,
> and will be for years to come.
>
> Brian

Ryan

http://www.tastyrerun.com