[MacDV] set-up for using my powerbook G4 to edit videos and burn to dvd

MA501Guy at aol.com MA501Guy at aol.com
Sat Jul 30 08:44:24 PDT 2005

In a message dated 7/30/05 1:14:46 AM, oliviablock at comcast.net writes:

> Hello
> I am interested in using my powerbook G4 to edit videos from my camcorder
> and I would like to buy some sort of external DVD burner to transfer the
> images to DVD. I am really new to this stuff, and I have tried to use a
> consumer DVD recorder to do crude transfers from my camcorder but the DVDs
> wouldn't play on anything, including my computer.
> Now I am looking at DVD burners with firewire or whatever instead. I guess
> it would be best if these worked with iDVD but it seems like they don't??
> Also, is there any external DVD burner which can also be used directly with
> the camcorder, like with consumer DVD recorders?
> Any advice would be appreciated
> Thanks

if you have attempting to burn a dvd from a stand alone dvd burner, you MUST
finalize the disc before it will play on any player, including a computer with
dvd playback.
most higher end powerbooks come with a built in dvd burner, or I'd recommend
contacting powerbook1.com, or MCE, who have options to have a dvd burner
installed. By far, that would be the EASIEST way to burn dvd's since what they
install is native to os X and i movie, and any other apple software used for
editing.
I have a 15 inch powerbook with dvd burner installed, having had it installed
aftermarket by MCE, and I can't say enough GOOD about it!

good luck, and if you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.
Alan
Cambridge Video