[MacDV] OT - VCR for VHS capture recommendations

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Sat Mar 12 17:27:52 PST 2005

Hello,

I am doing some VHS/Hi8/8mm tape to DVD conversions for friends. I
currently am using a consumer grade JVC HR-S3500U S-VHS VCR for
playback plugged in to a Canopus ADVC-100.

While most tapes look great, some of the tapes that I have been given
have serious issues when played back through this VCR. One tape goes
staticy/black every 10 seconds or so. I have experimented with all the
image stabilization features on the unit with little luck.

So, my question is, what good (used) pro level deck should I be looking
at? I really only need playback, and I think that I would need a unit
that has TBC and some manual adjustment features too, right?

I have been on eBay and saw some auction where a Panasonic AG-7750 was
at around $300. Is this a serviceable unit that would do what I need?
Another one is the Panasonic AG-7300.

Any other recommendations?

Are there any forums/websites that I might learn more about pro level
VCR's?

TIA,
--
Nick Scalise