[MacDV] Transferring files from Mac to DVD/HDD combo unit?

Patty Winter patty1 at sonic.net
Sun Mar 13 12:49:40 PST 2005

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I checked back
a few months' worth of archives and didn't see it...

I just bought a Sony DVD Recorder/Hard Disk Drive combo. It
has a 4-pin Firewire (i.Link) input that's intended to import
DV video from a camcorder. I'm wondering whether I can use it
to send DV-format files from my Mac to the hard drive, then
make DVDs from it. Does anyone here know whether it's possible
to do that?

I know that I'd need to buy a 4-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable,
but then how would I get the Mac to send the data to the HDD?
In the case of a camcorder, according to the user's manual,
the Sony unit would start the camcorder playing back its video.
I don't that working with the Mac. Nor can I think of what
software I might have that would send video out the FW port.
Is it possible to mount the HDD on the Mac's desktop and drag
files to it? Or is this whole idea simply not going to fly?

Thanks!
Patty

p.s. I have a couple other questions about using the Sony
that don't involve the Mac and are thus not relevant to this
list. But if anyone out there has a DVD/HDD combo and might
be able to help me with those questions, please let me know!