[MacDV] QuickTime on Windows

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 14 06:25:44 PST 2005

I'm trying to get a business off the ground that relies heavily on
QuickTime movies - both as progressive downloads from web sites,
clickable links in e-mails, and higher resolution versions distributed
on CD-R. I create the movies on a Mac, then test them on a Pentium II,
350 Mhz Windows 98 machine. Other QuickTime movies of mine have been
played on many Windows machines - including those running XP. I
deliberately avoided MP4, so that the video would play with older
versions of the QuickTime Player - using Sorenson 3 instead.

Now that it's really important for these QuickTime movies to work
smoothly on Windows, my first prospective client tells me she can't get
the movie to play no matter what she tries. She has a relatively new
computer running XP and a DSL line. She claims to have downloaded the
QuickTime Player from Apple and installed it, but I was not there in
person to verify that she installed it properly.

I think that we should conduct an informal survey to try to pinpoint
some of the problems that Windows users might have with QuickTime. Burn
one of your QuickTime movies on a CD-R, then make the rounds of your
non-geek friends who insist on using only Windows and see how many of
them have a problem. Or e-mail this link to a few non-geek Windows
users with broadband and ask them to install the QuickTime Player and
try to view it:

http://www.ram-video.com/ReelEstate/BonnieCastleSt.mov

Also tell us about any problems you've run across mixing QuickTime and
Windows.

Thanks,
Steve R.