[MacDV] QuickTime on Windows

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Mon Mar 14 10:05:39 PST 2005

On Monday, March 14, 2005, at 08:26AM, Steve Robertson <stever at mindspring.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to get a business off the ground that relies heavily on
>QuickTime movies - both as progressive downloads from web sites,
>clickable links in e-mails, and higher resolution versions distributed
>on CD-R. I create the movies on a Mac, then test them on a Pentium II,
>350 Mhz Windows 98 machine. Other QuickTime movies of mine have been
>played on many Windows machines - including those running XP. I
>deliberately avoided MP4, so that the video would play with older
>versions of the QuickTime Player - using Sorenson 3 instead.
>
>Now that it's really important for these QuickTime movies to work
>smoothly on Windows, my first prospective client tells me she can't get
>the movie to play no matter what she tries. She has a relatively new
>computer running XP and a DSL line. She claims to have downloaded the
>QuickTime Player from Apple and installed it, but I was not there in
>person to verify that she installed it properly.
>
>I think that we should conduct an informal survey to try to pinpoint
>some of the problems that Windows users might have with QuickTime. Burn
>one of your QuickTime movies on a CD-R, then make the rounds of your
>non-geek friends who insist on using only Windows and see how many of
>them have a problem. Or e-mail this link to a few non-geek Windows
>users with broadband and ask them to install the QuickTime Player and
>try to view it:
>
>http://www.ram-video.com/ReelEstate/BonnieCastleSt.mov
>
>Also tell us about any problems you've run across mixing QuickTime and Windows.

Plays fine for me on my Dell laptop running Windows 2000 Pro.

Viewed it inline with Firefox, and I was able to view it fine with QuickTime player 6.5.2

The person you sent it to must be having issues with the installation. Maybe you could get them to try to install iTunes instead.

I can't believe that all the folks that watch trailers at Apple.com/trailers are all only geek windows/mac users.
--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com